AUDITIONS OPEN FOR 2019 SEASON
We expect players to be a minimum of AMEB Grade 7 standard. This level is provided as a guide only. It is not compulsory for applicants to have completed examinations before auditioning. Previous ensemble experience is highly regarded. Auditions are open to players aged 18 or higher.
Rehearsals are held on Monday nights, 7:00–9.30pm at the Old Museum Building (cnr Gregory Terrace and Bowen Bridge Road, Bowen Hills). There are several breaks throughout the year which are structured around the concert season. We do not rehearse on public holidays.
The Audition Fee is $10, to be deposited in QWO’s bank account by electronic fund transfer before excerpts can be received. If you are successful in gaining a permanent position in QWO the $10 will be deducted from your annual fees. Rehearsal fees for 2018 will be approximately $60 per term, plus a $10.00 annual membership fee. Discounts are offered for early payment of fees and various payment options are available.
- Men — dinner suit
- Women — formal black (long) with enclosed shoes
- The orchestra will supply a sash for women and pocket handkerchief for men.
We believe the ability and opportunity to play all parts on an instrument is an important aspect of a great ensemble. Players are not assigned to one part but rotate between them as organised by the section leader. This gives all players the opportunity to develop both supportive and leadership skills.
AUDITIONS FOR 2019 SEASON ARE OPEN
Auditions for the 2019 season will be held for vacant chairs and for reserve positions where a section is already full. Auditions are heard by a professional musician who has the responsibility for the ranking of players. The QWO management committee has no input into the results of auditions. Each audition should not take longer than 10 minutes.
- Auditions will consist of 1 page of a set solo work for your instrument followed by standard wind ensemble excerpts.
- Applicants are expected to have a thorough knowledge of the tempi and styles of these excerpts.
- Audition material will be emailed to the applicant on receipt of their application.
- Audition date: Sunday, 9 December, 2018 (spots available from 12pm - 4pm) at Old Museum Building, Bowen Hills.
- Audition applications close Friday 7 December, 2018.
The Audition Fee is $10, to be deposited in QWO’s bank account by electronic fund transfer before excerpts can be received (bank details are in the form below). If you are successful in gaining a permanent position in QWO the $10 will be deducted from your annual fees.
If you have not received the audition material by Monday 3 December please contact us via the contact form on the contact page.
Accepting applications for all reserve positions. Playing positions available for Tuba, Percussion, Bass Trombone, and Cor Anglais.